Summer is synonymous with happiness, joy and the enjoyment of small pleasures, like the sound of the sea, sand on your feet or long hours of sunshine. However, it is also an important season for not neglecting our hair’s health and beauty. Excessive sun exposure, UV rays, frequently going to the beach or pool, and other summer elements can wreak havoc on our hair, cause damage and dehydration and color fading, but how to protect hair from the sun during summertime?
What do UV rays do to your hair?
UV rays can cause permanent damage and undesired changes to the hair: dryness, breakage, loss of color...
Do you protect your skin from the sun by using sunscreen with SPF? Why don’t you also protect your hair with sunblock? Since sun exposure is one of the main causes of premature aging, some of our products contain sunscreens to protect both hair and scalp.
Tips for summertime haircare
1. UVB rays are responsible for the loss and degradation of proteins and UVA rays for the changes in color and pigmentation. Solar radiation, together with the air’s oxygen, causes changes in the hair’s protein structure and oxidizes the melanin granules in the hair cortex and amino acids. This results in color changes and triggers the breakage of keratin-linking bonds. This raises the fibers’ cuticles, decreases the hair’s elasticity, making it finer, more fragile and less dense.
Use products with sunscreen for hair that contain UV blockers. As well as protecting from the sun’s rays by creating a film that envelops the hair, they will help keep your mane nourished and healthy. You can apply them as often as necessary, but I recommend that you do so a minimum of thirty minutes before leaving the house and when you get out of the sea or pool.
2. You must also protect your scalp, so often overlooked. Keep in mind that solar radiation affects it differently: UV rays can burn the scalp’s epidermis, which can lead to its stiffening, blocking sebum and sweat production and halting hair growth. In addition, UVA rays penetrate the dermis more deeply and can cause miniaturization of hair follicles, resulting in weakened hair and slowdown of its growth.
You can use a UV hair protection spray that calms the inflammation caused by the sun’s rays on the scalp and that provokes hair loss in autumn. For example, Glacial White Caviar Hydra Pure Rejuvenating Mist provides continuous 24-hour hydration and protection against heat and UV rays.
The best products with sunscreen for hair
How to protect hair from the sun during summertime? Our in-house R&D laboratory has developed increasingly potent and effective formulas that include sunscreen and other protective ingredients for the hair that form an invisible film surrounding the mane and protect it from UV rays and other harmful agents.
The treasures in the Sublime Gold collection, for example, have highly protective properties against aggressors like the sun’s rays or oxidative stress. I especially recommend:
- Sublime Gold Ultra-Brilliant Mist: a UV hair protection spray for hair that provides nutrition, luminosity and silkiness.
- Sublime Gold Leave-In Treatment Shield: a conditioning and photoprotective hair treatment that strengthens, regenerates and softens the hair and acts like a protective shield against heat, chemical treatments, pollution, UV rays, dust...
- Sublime Gold Ultra-Nourishing Oil: supercharged with 10 precious, plant-derived oils rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants, it has a high protective action against UVA and UVB rays while also nourishing and repairing the hair.
Platinum & Diamonds Luxurious Drops is the ideal alternative for fine hair. Protects against UVA and UVB rays, protects color, restores the hair’s electrostatic balance and also provides incredible shine.
Finally, Black Baccara Hair Texturizing Wave Mist also repairs the mane’s internal and external damage and protects hair from the sun’s rays and color loss, while creating perfect surf waves.
How to protect dyed hair from sun
If you have colored hair, sun protection becomes even more crucial. Having suffered structural damage during the color penetration process, dyed hair becomes more porous and has more gaps through which other tones can enter.
For me, it is very important to preserve the intensity and vibrancy of color. This is why all our shampoos are formulated with natural surfactants that minimize color loss with each wash, enabling your hair’s retention of more than 96% of its color even after 10 washes.
Furthermore, we have two rituals that especially care for dyed hair like no others:
- Extreme Caviar Vibrant Color Ritual is designed to extend the duration of color treatments and preserve the color’s shine. It contains marine collagen, rice extract and natural surfactants derived from coconut oil that protect against color fading while repairing and protecting the hair against future damage.
- Extreme Caviar Special Blonde & Silver Hair Ritual contains violet pigments that neutralize yellowish or orangish reflections and tone gray hair. In addition, its formula is super gentle and non-drying, but rather prevents aging, conditions and makes hair more manageable.
Just like you protect your skin by applying sunscreen daily, especially during summertime you must pay special attention to your hair. Many people don’t know that sunscreens for hair exist, but they are an essential step: they reduce the effect of salt on your mane, protect from the sun’s rays, provide softness...